Friday, December 21, 2012

Turning To The Needs Of Others


How often have you heard people say, or maybe you’ve said it yourself, “I’m just not in the Christmas spirit,” or “I’ll be glad when Christmas is over with?” Both of these statements are an indication of an absence of joy in regards to the Christmas season. Instead of joy, many experience depression, a sense of loneliness, maybe a feeling of disappointment, and so on. Most generally, these feelings are experienced because our attention is on ourselves. However, there is a cure for this—turning our attention from ourselves to others.

Dr. Karl Menninger, a famous psychiatrist, once gave a lecture on mental health and was answering questions from the audience. “What would you advise a person to do,” asked one man, “if that person felt a nervous breakdown coming on?” Most people expected him to reply, “Consult a psychiatrist.” To their astonishment, he replied, “Lock your house, go across the railway, find someone in need, and do something to help them.” God says, “If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday” (Isaiah 58:10, RSV). What a wonderful picture of what happens in our hearts when we turn outward to care for others.

The point is, JOY comes from loving others, from getting our focus off of ourselves and asking, “How can I be a blessing? How can I help somebody else? How can I give my life away?”

Of course, there are many ways in which we can accomplish this. For example, our neighbor in Carthage, MO was a wonderful Christian lady who reminds me of the woman in the Bible that gave the mite. She was living on very limited income, which made it difficult to tend to the needs of her grandson. Christmas was approaching, and I knew there wasn’t going to be many gifts under her Christmas tree. We bought her grandson several gifts and had our grandchildren present them to her grandson on Christmas Day. There were not many words spoken other than, “Thank you very much,” but the expressions on their faces spoke volumes. It is true, our hearts will only experience some emotions and feelings and a sense of approval from God when we turn our hearts outward to care for others. This experience will forever be etched in the memory of my grandchildren—a moment to never forget. 

When God told Moses to build Him a tabernacle to dwell in, God said, “Speak unto the children of Israel, that they may bring me an offering.” The Greek word for offering/collection means, “to say something.” When you give your offering, it says something. It says something about your priorities, your values, your understanding of stewardship. When you turn your heart to others, it says something about your obedience to God, your love for God and others, and your willingness to hold onto things with an open hand. It means that all I have is always available to God to be used or distributed as God directs. It is then that life becomes fun and an exciting adventure.

One Sunday afternoon Trisha and I drove to Fayetteville, AR to have lunch at PF Chang’s, a great restaurant. Shortly after we had been seated, a group of probably ten people were seated near us. I noticed they were all talking and looking at everything in the restaurant, just really enjoying their time together. Then the Lord spoke to me and said, “I want you to pay for their lunch.” I asked the waitress for their ticket and asked her not to say anything to them. When we left, we paid for our meals and theirs, and then went across the street to the Pottery Barn. My wife had bought some Christmas things and I decided to take them to the car. This family was parked near my car, and when they saw me, they came over to me and said, “Thank you for the lunch.” Then who I believe to be the mother of the group spoke through an interpreter and said with tears streaming down her face, “I was praying this morning to God for a miracle, and God gave me a miracle. Thank you.” That’s all it took. We all stood in the parking lot embracing one another with tears streaming down our faces rejoicing in the Lord for His goodness. I really cannot express adequately how I felt at that moment. It was just a great moment in time.

Christmas is on the horizon. Let me encourage you to experience the joy of Christmas by turning your thoughts to others. Maybe it will be a phone call to encourage someone; maybe it will be taking the time to mend friendships; maybe it will be some form of a kind deed. Whatever the Lord speaks to you to do, do it and you will find a joy springing up in your soul.

From Trish and I, Merry Christmas to you and your family.


-Loyd Naten

No comments:

Post a Comment