Monday, December 31, 2012

Dream Dancer

In 2010 as Sydney Williams watched “The Nutcracker” for the first time, she pointed at Clara and said, “I want to do that.” After two years of praying and hard work, Sydney made history as being the first African American girl to star as young Clara at the Indianapolis School of Ballet production of “The Nutcracker.”

“I felt so happy when I found out I was playing the lead role. I was so happy that I screamed. I hugged my dad, my sister, and my little brothers. I felt like I made it,” said Sydney. Sydney has danced since she was 18 months old, participating in many dance activities, including winning the dance category in Indiana’s Kids Talent Expo two years in a row.

Sydney and her family attend Bethel Family Worship Center in Indianapolis, IN, pastored by Pastor Russell and Bev Hylton. Sydney and her mother, Kimberly Williams, share a common achievement. Ms. Kimberly was the first African American Miss Clovis, which is a preliminary of Miss California and Miss America. The night she won, people walked out after her name was announced. “I know the pressure that comes along with being the first to accomplish something. I was happy that she was chosen, but worried about the pressure. My husband and I just want her to do what she does best, which is dance,” Ms. Kimberly explained. “Sydney is a very sweet girl inside and out. She loves God, her family, and dance,” said Ms. Kimberly.

No comments:

Post a Comment